Let’s talk about the bright yellow member of the ginger family called turmeric. It is a super spice that provides many health benefits other than being a popular spice used for Indian and Middle Eastern dishes.
Here are the rundown of some of it’s amazing health benefits:
- It is well-known for its anti-inflammatory benefits. The anti-inflammatory effects ranges from reduction of arthritic pain to relieving menstrual pain up to aiding post-workout muscle soreness. It works either as topical or oral. So next time that you wake up in the morning with sore muscles, get your fix of a turmeric elixir!
- It is a powerful antioxidant as well that can be used for cancer prevention especially for colon cancer.
- It helps in the detoxification of our body.
- It helps improve concentration and boost memory retention.
- It helps in hormonal balance.The effects of turmeric vs Prozac (an antidepressant) was studied under the Phytotherapy Research. According to the results, turmeric may be used an an effective and safe therapy for treatment in patient’s with mild depression. I guess the bright yellow color of this spice means something! It can help brighten up your gloomy depressive days!
However, turmeric is contraindicated for people with gallstones or bile obstruction. It can also be a uterine stimulant for pregnant women. It is vital to consult your doctor to prevent any untoward effects. Remember that no matter how miraculous turmeric can be, it should be used in moderation.
Turmeric can be found in almost every supermarkets in the Philippines! Just go to the spice section if you’re looking for ground turmeric, or to the produce section if you prefer whole turmeric.
Turmeric Chicken Skewers
Calories: 311.25 Protein: 42.91 Fat: 11.81 Carbohydrate: 7.42 Fiber: 1.52 Sugar: 2.97 Sodium: 239.75
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes (grilling) or 20 minutes (bake)
Total Time: 55 to 1 hour and 5 minutes
Approx. Cost per recipe: P450
680g chicken breast, skinless, boneless, cut into chunks
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain, whole-milk
1 1/2 extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
3 cloves garlic
crushed chili flakes (add depending on your taste) I like spicy food so I added a lot!
1 lemon for the marinade, squeezed lemon juice
1 lemon for garnishing
- Place the chicken chunks in a large bowl. Add all the listed ingredients in the bowl (except for the lemon for garnishing). Combine the ingredients. Make sure the ingredients are properly mixed. Then, let the chicken marinate chilled for 30 minutes.
- For oven method, preheat the oven at 450 degrees. Line the baking dish with foil.
- Arrange the chicken in skewers.
- For oven method, place the chicken skewers on the prepared baking dish. Bake the chicken for 20 minutes.
- For grilling method, grill the chicken until golden brown. It would usually take 10 minutes.
- Serve. Garnish with lemon wedges.