Yay! The Wonderbod Project is now officially on Instagram! If you are not following the account yet, follow @wonder.bod. Anyway, I posted on Instagram that I would post here on the website the easy recipe of my breakfast earlier this morning – Steam Eggs with Smoked Salmon.
The name sounds fancy! You might even think that it’s expensive to make one! But it’s the complete opposite! Yes! You can enjoy a fancy hotel breakfast at your own home! It’s the smoked salmon that makes it sound expensive. The truth is most smoked salmon available in the Philippines cost around 400 pesos and above. But I discovered this brand of smoked salmon that I found at Robinsons Selections in Venice Grand Canal Mall that is super affordable. It only cost 175 pesos for 100 grams! The brand is Premium Gourmet Selection. You can find it on the cold storage area of the supermarket. The rest of the ingredients needed are what I believe you do already have in your pantries or refrigerators.
I must add that you need a strainer and a bowl (preferably a tempered glass bowl, or any bowl that could withstand the heat that would be coming from the steam and boiling water). Ramekins can be used as well.
So, here’s the recipe!
Steamed Eggs with Smoked Salmon
Calories: 309.4 Protein: 24.52 Fats: 16.25 Carbohydrate: 17.71 Fiber 3.6 Sugar: 8.49 Sodium: 996
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Approx. Cost: P130
1 medium size tomato
3 cloves garlic
1/2 medium size yellow onion
1 green chili
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
50g smoked salmon
- Prepare the pot to make a water bath. Fill it with water and line the bottom of the pot with small dish towel to prevent the bowl from clanking when it boils. Make sure that the amount of water on the pot will not be able to reach the top of the bowl and ensure that the bowl fits in the pot so that you can close the cover.
- Bring the water to boil and keep it at simmer while preparing the egg mixture.
- Chop the garlic, onion, green chili and tomato.
- Whisk the eggs then add salt and water.
- Put the egg mixture on the bowl. (Strain the egg mixture while pouring it on the bowl for a silky smooth texture but this is only an optional step.)
- Mix in chopped garlic, onion, green chili and tomato.
- Place the bowl on the simmering water bath and cook for 15 minutes on medium high. Cover the pot.
- Once cooked, remove from the pot. Arrange the smoked salmon on top. May garnish with scallions for a better presentation and an Instagram-worthy appearance.
Tag @wonder.bod on your Instagram post if you tried cooking this dish! I would love to see your version! Don’t forget to put #thewonderbodproject. We are all in this together in achieving our wonderbod goals!